Every day, we are hearing and reading about stressful issues happening all around us: climate change, icebergs melting, hurricanes, desperate refugees, starving polar bears, decimated forests, homes inundated and people swept away, elephants poached. In the past, I’ve offered techniques on how to deal with stressful world issues and I think they are worth repeating to remind ourselves that we are not powerless to help.
We have power. We can help. We can help everyone and everything, including ourselves.
The following techniques are not about woowoo or religion. They are about being human and using the very real power of compassion and unconditional love, the power of your thoughts, and the power of your intentions.
This morning, I was reading about the plight of the Syrian refugees in Europe and pondered the millions of refugees all over the world. What if my husband and I had no choice but to drag our children away from their home and leave our lives behind, knowing we would never return? Leave what had been our daily comfort and security for daily unknown, probably dangerous situations? It would be devastating.
My focus for the following techniques is the plight of all refugees across the globe but you can choose whatever issue is on your mind.
- Open Your Heart.
- Say silently: “I am filled with compassion and unconditional love.” Alternately, you can ask the universe, God or whoever else to fill you with compassion and unconditional love.
- Visualize gentle, watermelon red/pink light (compassion) all around you. Then, while retaining the watermelon light, also visualize very bright green light (unconditional love) within you and around you. Don’t worry if you can’t visualize both colours at the same time; your intention is more important than your ability to visualize.
- Say silently: “All of the world’s refugees are filled and surrounded by compassion and unconditional love.” Alternately, you can ask the universe, God or whoever else to fill and surround them with compassion and unconditional love.
- Expand your watermelon light and green light to surround all of the world’s refugees (by visualizing and/or with your intention).
- Say silently: “All of the world’s refugees receive whatever they need for their highest good.” Alternately, you can ask the universe, God or whoever else to give the refugees whatever they need for their highest good.
- Hold that light around them for as long as you wish. Then, bring the light back around yourself.
- Say silently: “I am grateful to be in my home. I am grateful for the help they will receive.“
You can adapt this technique for any world issue that is on your mind. Visualize compassion and unconditional love filling and surrounding the people, animals, insects, environments, or regions in need. Ask that they receive whatever they need for their highest good.
It’s good practice to begin by opening your heart and to end with gratitude.