Pollen… Atchoo! Atchoo! I’ve been sneezing and blowing my nose for the past few weeks. Spending more time awake than asleep at night. Filling a garbage with tissues. I’m so tired of it, let alone a little grumpy from lack of sleep. I’ve been using Small Scale, Daily Healing techniques every day and night, which helped to lessen the impact, but I need another tool for my allergy healing arsenal.
My main healing focus thus far has been on balancing my entire system and on calming my throat, nose, sinus and immune system, all of which had worked quite well in the past. Perhaps as a result of that past work, the last few years have been almost allergy-free so this sudden, severe onslaught has taken me by surprise. Where does it come from?
To help answer that question, I head for Deb Shapiro’s book, “Your Body Speaks Your Mind.” Allergies, she explains, are caused by your immune system overreacting to a foreign body that is usually hard to avoid, i.e. pollen, dust, cat fur. You have to ask yourself why your body is reacting so strongly and treating a benign substance as an enemy. “An irritant is irritating you, and it is making you irritable.”
Because your immune system’s response is one of defense, the psycho-emotional cause of allergies might be related to a need to put up resistance. “The external world has become an enemy, something to be resisted.”
Shapiro suggests exploring the cause of your resistance—what or who are you actually feeling allergic toward? Are you overreacting to an emotional situation? Are you unwilling to communicate with someone? Are you repressing the desire to scream and shout?
What I’ve been doing on a daily basis to heal my allergy to pollen:
- I’ve been reflecting on these questions to pinpoint the emotional cause of my allergy. (2 minutes)
- I’m working on the issues that might be responsible. (In the moment)
- I’m using my Line of Calm (30 seconds) and Full Calm (1 minute) techniques every day to increase inner calm so that I can deal with those issues more calmly and objectively.
- I am communicating with my immune system every day to let it know that, although I appreciate all the work it is doing for me, it needn’t defend me from the innocuous pollen. (30 seconds)
- I continue to Connect, Calm and Balance all of my major chakras (2 minutes) and to balance all of the frequencies in my body and being (2-3 minutes).
Total investment per day: 8-9 minutes or a bit more if I do a technique more than once. I practice many of these techniques in the middle of the night when my nose runs or is blocked and I can’t sleep.
It’ll take time to deal with my pollen allergy at the emotional level but it’ll be worth it if my allergy doesn’t return. Even if it does return next year, I’ll be even better prepared with my arsenal of healing tools.